Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Morton's Neuroma

OK....so I had this pebble feeling in my left foot about a year ago each time I went out for a run. I started to wonder what in the heck was going on. Then it turned to a burning, stabbing sensation when I was riding my bike. After seeing my podiatrist and doing an MRI it was diagnosed as a Morton's Neuroma. The journey of the past five months goes like this....orthotics...cortisone shot for neuroma....other foot begins hurting....second cortisone shot for neuroma....take out my orthotics in case they were the cause of my other foot hurting.....twelve sessions with two different PT's for both feet....third cortisone shot yesterday for neuroma......surgery scheduled next Tuesday.....MRI scheduled for other foot tomorrow.

In the past two years I really started training hard for triathlons. I have identified myself as a triathlete. I am a triathlete. Now I am seriously contemplating this identity. Maybe I am not meant to push myself so hard. Maybe doing my daily exercise is good enough. I used to be a yogini. I used to be a yoga teacher and student first. Now that is second. Maybe yoga is a better path for my mind and body. But I don't like having no choice in the matter! My ideal workout week would be yoga x2 riding x3, swimming x2 and running x2. Yes that might sound like a lot, but I have always done a lot. I used to be in yoga class eight-ten classes a week before I moved to Arizona and found triathlons.

So I have been contemplating pulling out of the races I have signed up for over the next ten months. If I get this surgery, my Podiatrist said I can be back to the activities I love in 4-6 weeks. I have to make my decision my Friday.

I had so many plans to fundraise for the cancer my mother passed away from through all of my races this year. Maybe this is just a slight set back, and I can get to the fundraising after the Nov. half marathon I will not be racing in. I hope so. Actually, I really hope this third cortisone does the trick, and the MRI comes back with just some random inflammation.

I will keep you posted!

3 comments:

  1. i think you need to channel your yogini roots and practice patience with yourself, girlfriend. the neuromas are your body's way of telling you to slow it down a bit. maybe not forever, but for the time being. that doesn't mean that you can't be a triathlete. it doesn't mean that you must be a yogini. it just means that you need some time to heal and to find a place of balance.

    they told me last year this time that i should never run again. i couldn't fathom not EVER being able to run again, so i rested, i weighed my alternatives, and i started back when my body was feeling better.

    maybe just take the next four to six weeks to heal and take inventory and decide what is important to you.

    hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know all my history, but I want you to do what I didn't do and let it heal. There was a time before and after my surgery that I never thought I would ever run again. It was a long hard journey to recovery, but I blame myself for most of that. My lack of patience, my determination to not stop. It got the best of me, and in the end cost me several years.

    We have a BIG year planned so I need you to get this taken care of, rest up and we'll be back to training in NO time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear you've been in pain & struggling! It sounds like you're really looking at all your options & feeling out your heart. As for fundraising, I bet your mom is so proud of the effort you're taking on! But I also bet she'd want you to take care of yourself first... And if tris & IMs are the route to take, I'd bet she'd want you to be healed & starting those ventures in the healthiest body possible! Keeping you in my thoughts & hoping you get answers you're at peace with!

    ReplyDelete