Thursday, October 21, 2010

Life in the Slow Lane...

So as I blogged last time, I am working with some feet issues. And I have to say after tracing back my first foot injury to today, it really has been a long, often painful journey. But, I am feeling more confident with new approaches and learning to take life in the slow lane.
I have gone from riding my bikes four-five times a week averaging about 200-250 miles during my heaviest training weeks, to riding three times this month for a total of 82 miles. And I haven't been on my bike in two weeks. Running is out of the question for another few months, and walking could hasten my recovery.
I have come to the realization that I was forcing my body to do what my mind and spirit wanted. And that was often too much for my body to handle. Now some could say that my training was not all that much, because it was mainly riding and swimming for the past four months. But, I had a stress fracture one one foot that caused plantar fasciitis to develop, (since I continued to beat on my foot running), and a Morton's Neuroma (trapped nerves) on my other foot b/c of the compensation from the stress fracture and so much biking. So training at that level was too much in my case.
I have also come to the realization that we don't stop until there is a trauma or event that forces us too. When our bodies feel good, we get used to not listening, mostly because there is nothing screaming at us. But when working to build thresholds we train harder and force by the inherent nature of that training. In turn, weaker areas start to breakdown, stronger areas grow and injuries can occur because of the created imbalances. So in our typical fashion we begin to tune out those body signals we don't want to hear until we are forced to listen. Obviously I was not listening.
So my new "life in the slow lane" approach is reading, studying, spending time with friends, some swimming and daily yoga and mediation. I like this feeling of slowing down. I like reconnecting with my breath that I was always chasing down when I was competing in triathlons and training hard. I do think that balance is a great thing to strive for, and I will be ready to jump back on my bike and lace up my running shoes again. But for now, I am moving slow and re-establishing my inner peace.
BTW I discovered a awesome new toy...the Yamuna Foot Wakers. If you want to improve the function of your feet and awaken all the muscles that hold us up every day try this out! Get it with the video so you have a tutorial. And I forewarn you...it hurts! But you will be thankful when you start to correct any misalignments occurring that could potentially lead you down the road I am traveling on now.
Until next time I am working on cultivating and practicing Ahimsa, (Sanskrit word for nonviolence towards self and others).
Peace, health and happiness.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you. As much as I nagged you to take time off and get those feet better, (and you ignoring me) I promise you it will all be fore the better. I'm so impressed that you came to terms with it YEARS quicker than I did with my injuries!!! It's so hard to stop doing somethign you really enjoy, especially when you have goals and are seeing improvement - BUT I'm a good example of how you come back stronger after really letting your body heal. Can't wait for you to get passed this and back out there with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your line... "the realization that we don't stop until there is a trauma or event that forces us too." That is so true! Very glad you are listening to your body and cultivating healing! And thanks for sharing what Ahimsa is. I like that!

    ReplyDelete