Sunday, June 12, 2011

Home is Where the Heart Is

I love recovery weeks. My coach puts in one recovery week a month. Perfect time to head to Tennessee to see my Dad and Kathy.
I have been here since Weds morning....it is already Sunday...time flys too fast. I had some great talks, walks, meals with my parents. For years now, whenever I am home, my BF Brandi (pictured here) comes up from Atlanta and spends the weekend with us. She came up Saturday morning with her funny dog, Vinnie and we had a great time eating, talking, and drinking Vino. We are both headed back to our respective homes today.
It is hard to leave.

My Mom made a needlepoint years ago and framed it for me- it says "Home is Where the Heart Is". Since Mom passed away in 1999, I have lived in Boca Raton, Miami, Jacksonville Beach, and Scottsdale. I have spent so much time in Tennessee with Dad and Kathy over the past 15+ years that I feel at home there. So many memories and good times we have had in Tennessee, (aka Camp Anderson). Over the past three years I have been creating a home in Scottsdale. The last 18 months I have really considered Scottsdale home. I found Mike, made great friends, bought a home and have a real sense of community there. This is the first location that I have felt this way in my adult life. TN is home because Dad and Kathy are there, Boca Raton was home when my Mom was alive , but Scottsdale is MY home. I do however wish my TN and Scottsdale homes were closer in distance. But I come back to, "Home is Where the Heart Is" when I get sad (like now) and that gives me peace.

To close I want to honor the 18 Soldiers and Marines killed in Iraq and Afghanistan this week. Sending prayers to their family's and communities.


1 comment: